ResilienceBuilding: Social Resilience, Gendered Dynamics, and Local Peace in Protracted Conflicts.
2020-2026, funded by an ERC Starting Grant
Communal Conflicts in the Shadow of Civil War: Implications for Civilian Protection and Peacebuilding in South Sudan
2019-2022, funded by the Folke Bernadotte Academy, Sweden
- Krause, Jana. 2019. Stabilisation and Local Conflicts: Communal and Civil War in South Sudan. Ethnopolitics 18:5, 478-493.
Protective Civilian Agency and the Protection of Civilians in Myanmar
2018-2020, funded by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (Sweden)
- Krause, Jana and Erin Kamler. 2022. Ceasefires and Civilian Protection Monitoring in Myanmar. Global Studies Quarterly 2:1, 1-12.
- Krause, Jana. Forthcoming. Civilian Protection Monitoring in War and Ceasefire Contexts: Evidence from Myanmar’s Kachin and Karen States. In: Krause, Jana, Juan Masullo, Emily Paddon-Rhoads and Jennifer Welsh (eds): Civilian Protective Agency in Violent Settings. Oxford University Press.
Gender Dimensions of Social Conflict, Armed Violence and Peacebuilding
2014-2017, funded by the Swiss Research for Development (r4d) Programme (CHF 1.500’000), based at the Graduate Institute Geneva. Consortium: Elisabeth Pruegl (IHEID), Rahel Kunz (Uni Lausanne), Joy Onyesoh (WILPF), Wening Udasmoro (UGM Yogyakarta), Jana Krause (IHEID/King’s College London).
- Krause, Jana. 2020. Women, Peace and Security and the Prevention of Communal Conflicts. Research brief, Folke Bernadotte Academy, UN Women and PRIO.
- Krause, Jana. 2020. Restrained or Constrained? Elections, Communal Conflicts, and Variation in Sexual Violence. Journal of Peace Research (open access).
- Krause, Jana. 2019. Gender Dimensions of (Non)-Violence in Communal Conflict: The Case of Jos, Nigeria. Comparative Political Studies.
- Krause, Jana. 2018. Women’s Participation in Peace Negotiations and the Durability of Peace. Policy Brief, Conflict, Security and Development Research Group, War Studies, King’s College London.
- Krause, Jana, Werner Krause and Piia Braenfors. 2018. Women’s Participation in Peace Negotiations and the Durability of Peace. International Interactions.
- Krause, Jana and Cynthia Enloe. (2015). A Wealth of Expertise and Lived Experience: Conversations between International Women Peace Activists at the ‘Women Lead to Peace Summit’ preceding the Geneva II Peace Talks on Syria, January 2014. International Feminist Journal of Politics 17:2.
- Krause, Jana. 2015. Revisiting Protection from Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: Actors, Victims, and Power. In: Gizelis, T-I. and L. Olsson (eds): A Systematic Understanding of Gender, Peace and Security: Implementing UNSCR1325. Routledge Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution Series. 2015
- Gizelis, Theodora-Ismene and Jana Krause. 2015. Gender Equality and Post-Conflict Reconstruction: Revisiting Gender Mainstreaming in Research and Policy. In: Gizelis, T-I. and L. Olsson (eds): A Systematic Understanding of Gender, Peace and Security: Implementing UNSCR 1325. Routledge Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution Series.
From Social Conflict to Social Resilience
2013-2014, Early Career Fellowship funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation. Hosted by King’s College London, Department of War Studies, Conflict, Security and Development Research Group.
- Krause, Jana. 2018. Resilient Communities: Non-Violence and Civilian Agency in Communal War. Cambridge University Press.
- Krause, Jana. 2016. Non-Violence and Civilian Agency in Communal War: Evidence from Jos, Nigeria. African Affairs.